Monday, April 8, 2013

Free the Chicken and her Eggs!

Eat noting that has a mother, vegans say. In the western world today where people are becoming more health conscious fast food restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken is trying to offer vegetarians and vegan options. Of course, if chickens could talk, they would be happy! This is week I will illustrate another annual report cover on KFC using the Illustration Friday word of the week - Egg. French toast anyone?

I came across quite this funny image below that inspired me to keep this annual report cover fun. I thought it would be quite interesting if we freed the chicken and save their eggs!and as I vegetarian myself, and potential vegan I would support this cause.

Thou I walk - KFC

Here are a few thumbnails that I thought would represent the freedom of the egg and his mother. Some of these concepts were interesting, however I decided to chose the bottom center thumbnail to create this illustration.
TStewart_Thumbs egg

Step 1: Blocking. In this step, the background was filled in and the shape of the chicken flying through was painted in using a Photoshop CS5 brush. This step turn out pretty well and I was motivated to continue to see what my fling chicken would look like.
Step 1 WIP: Free the Chicken and her egg

Step 2:
Adding feathers and features. I played with several brushes here to find the right brush to demonstrate the feathers. I then settled on one and it seems to work quite well. This brush was a custom prest brush.
Step 2 WIP: Free the Chicken and her egg

Step 3:
Adding contrast usually brings your illustration to life. After covering the chicken with the lighter feathers, darker feathers and shadows brought this bird to life. I was very pleased with this stage. This may be named my favourite step in illustration. The details of the head and feet of the chicken was also illustrated.
Step 3 WIP: Free the Chicken and her egg

Step 4:
The Egg. In this step, I simple drew the impossible – a chicken flying away with her egg! This is why I love being an illustrator was you are allowed to imagine!
Step 4 WIP: Free the Chicken and her egg

Step 5:
Building were added to create the city feel. These buildings were painted in and embossed effected added.
Step 5 WIP: Free the Chicken and her egg

The Final:
Welcome to the New, Kentucy Fried Tofu Co. Ltd.
Kentucky Fried  Tofu

Chickens are now set free! No longer will they be slaughter and eaten. Their replacement is a soy based product called Tofu. Imagine if that were to really happen...if we all went vegan. What a happier world this would be – for the chicken and her eggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home